Saturday, May 4, 2013

My 1st Ghanaian Market Experience

Hi! My name is Beatrice & I'm a first timer to the Ghana Project. Here's a bit about my 1st Ghanian market experience! =)

Ok! Now I love to shop & came to Ghana fully expecting to purchase & bring home plenty of gifts but nothing could prepare me for this shopping experience! As we drove through the streets of Accra people were already selling their merchandise on, in the middle, & on the sides of the streets; so you could only imagine the pressure of being in one central location surrounded by vendors. The MOMENT we walked off the bus people were trying to get us into their stations. It was like walking into a real-life world of pop up ads! Everywhere you turned people were trying to get your attention & give their best persuasive snippet on why you should purchase their items. There were a variety of paintings, cloths, wooden figures, etc. and eventually, after learning how to barter, meeting a bunch of vendors, & having a few laughs (each encounter becoming more interesting than the last) I survived with 2 paintings, a few bracelets, Shea butter, & a new found appreciation of online shopping lol. Definitely a day in Ghana I will never forget.

-Beatrice C.

No comments:

Post a Comment