Sunday, May 6, 2012

Day 5 - Africa Hot

My name is Samantha, I'm a senior at UNF majoring in International Studies. First things first, HI MOM! Secondly, yes, it is THAT hot. It feels like it could be over 100 degrees, plus the humidity is outrageous and there is no wind. Regardless of the heat, the group really pulled together yesterday while constructing at the Tamale Children's home. As a team, we accomplished a lot. I'm not an engineer, so I won't go into detail about exactly what was built, at the risk of mistaking wire cutters for pliers in my explanation. But it was cool. As someone who has never worked with tools or cement or water testing kits, I can still safely say that this project is pretty cool. More importantly, the project has really enlightened the class. As a group, we're starting to realize that although this project will ultimately benefit the children's home, it's also benefiting us as individuals. For example, I've learned more about teamwork, especially in tough conditions. I've also realized how fortunate I am to be part of this project. And I've realized how fortunate I am, in general.
Tomorrow we place some of the final touches on the project. Something about removing wooden forms from the cement...but it's exciting! Everyone's hard work is paying off and I hope the children's home will be able to implement our project into their daily lives.
Here are some pics I've taken thus far!
Samantha

A typical Ghanaian meal consists of rice, veggies and chicken

The women in Tamale go about their daily business with loads of goods on their heads and babies on their backs.

The children at the home love to play with water bottles and sunglasses.

And, also gloves!

The nursery has 27 infants and toddlers who welcome the attention of our group. 

The children (and some adults) enjoy looking at their pictures as we "snap" them.

Wherever we go, there are children following. 

Even the young girls carry goods on their heads.

Sam, Caitlin, Michelle, Marina and Dargen visiting the Sheabutter processing village.

One of the infrastructure issues of Tamale is the drainage/sewage/garbage gutters, which run throughout the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment